school nurse

Health Program

A health technician is available in case of sickness or accident during the regular school hours. Health technicians do not diagnose illnesses. Please refer such cases to your own doctor. A district nurse is assigned to our site one day a week. Please notify the school if our child is on some type of continuing medication, even though taken at home. This information may be important in an emergency situation.


You should notify the school if your child has a specific health or physical condition that might require special accommodations during the school day.


(VUSD Board Policy 5023)

If medication is to be taken during school hours, the following guidelines of the California Education Code and VUSD policy must be followed.

1. The parent/guardian's written request on the VUSD medication authorization form is required. (Download form)

2. A physician's authorization detailing the amount of the medication, the method and time schedules by which the medication is to be taken.

3. This includes ALL medications (prescription, over-the-counter, and vitamin and herbal preparations).

4. All prescriptions must be from a California pharmacy. No prescriptions from out-of-state can be given by school personnel.

5. Physician and parent authorizations must be updated annually or more frequently if there is a change in the medication, dosage, or time.

6. The medicine is to be in the original container.

7. A designated adult is to bring the medication to school and/or take home.

School staff is not able to administer any medication without the written authorization of both the physician and parent. Please do not bring in any medication until these authorizations have been completed.

At the end of the school year, parents are asked to pick up all medication. Medications left more than one week after the school year ends will be discarded.


Routine health checks including vision, hearing, and head lice are made periodically. You will be notified if your student is in need of medical attention.


If your child has an accident or becomes ill at school, you will be contacted by use of the emergency card. It is important that you keep us informed with accurate 21 information so that there will be no difficulty in reaching you, or an adult specified by you, in case of emergency. This emergency card is important. No child will be released to an adult unless their name is on the emergency card. Identification will be verified by a picture I.D. Please be sure that the information on the emergency card is accurate and current. (VUSD Board Policy 5012)

Communicable Disease

If your child contracts a communicable disease, you are requested to notify the school immediately. The school nurse has helpful information on communicable diseases.

Child Abuse

State law requires school officials to report injuries that apparently are not accidental. School officials are charged by law to report possible unjustifiable physical pain and/or mental suffering. Failure by parents to furnish necessary clothing, food, shelter, and medical attention must be reported to the proper authorities.

Cyndi Boley

Cyndi Boley,


Laura Sandoval

Laura Sandoval,

Health/Attendance Tech.